Monday, February 13, 2006

The Deeds

The weekend was a blur... or maybe it was just because I was watching outside too much and the snow blurred my vision. I must admit I was impressed with how quickly the snow crew cleaned up the roads and walkways... with the amount of snow we received, it could be considered a wasted snow storm. There was a time this amount of snow would have closed schools and businesses for a week. Yes, schools were closed today and most likely will be a late arrival tomorrow if there is a lot of ice. But just one day is not enough!
I went walking around the 'hood on Sunday afternoon... wanted to get my exercise and just to see the state of the roads and such. Maybe I was the only one in the world without a camera to take pictures. Eh, I saw all the shots I would have taken already on another's blog or perhaps that other one. Anyways, I was listening to the radio then all the sudden an 80 year old lady walking in the opposite direction gets my attention. She asked me, "Should I be walking on the sidewalk or on the street?" She explained to me that she was new to the area and was walking to the supermarket (maybe 1-2 miles away). Only half the sidewalks were shoveled and the streets are 75% plowed. I posed her with this question, "If you were walking on the sidewalks and they were not plowed, what would happen?" She answered, I would get tired and I might fall. That gave me a sense she was at least thinking. I asked if she knew if the supermarket was even open. She didn't know, so I whipped out the handy-dandy cell phone and called 4-1-1... yes, indeed, the supermarket was open. We talked a little bit longer and she finished by saying, "Thank you very much you did your good deed for today." She was a nice lady.
But my "good deeds" for the day did not stop there... I helped 3 different people dig out their cars. I was jsut glad to get out of the apartment and get some fresh air and exercise. After, I got back to my apartment, what did I do? Vegged out in front of the TV and ate potato chips and chili dogs. Those were dang good chili dogs I must add. They were the first I have had in over a year. It was not until about 6pm I got a text message alert that schools were closed for Monday... even though it does not affect me working, it does affect my programs. I am fine with that.
Also, on Sunday, I finally (and I mean finally) finished the book I was reading. I have been slowly chopping away bits and pieces of it since...umm... November! It was a very book book, but when you are tired , you just don't read as much. Now, I am reading my next book, The Year of Yes.
---

No comments: