Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Spec Sheet

I was roaming the Information Superhighway and came across the Olympics website. Within, I stumbled upon the "Viaggio della Flamma Plimpica". Sounds like some sort of fancy-schmancy Italian dish, but in actuality it is the Olympic Torch. It is the spec sheet and the performance sheet for the torch people run with all across the world! It was hilarious that there is even one in existence! Did you know that the Resistance to Wind/Speed is 120 km/h maximum? No, and I don't even know what that means.... does that mean if Joe Torch Bearer is running over the speed of 120 km/h, he/she would no longer be wind resistant? I can see it now... an average citizen running at a remarkable speed of 121 km/h then suddenly, the torch flies out of their hand. All of this must be done within the "Burning Duration" of 15 minutes and within the performance specs indicated. For optimal Flame Colour it must be orange-yellow for optimal visibility and better video reproduction. hmm... you could have fooled me....I always thought for the best visibility you would have the torch-bearer get caught on fire to make a bigger flame... oops. There is a "combustion system" that is designed to prevent the flame from reaching the fuel pipe, thus ensuring the safety of the bearer.
But I must admit, on the original link to the Torch site it showed the different Torches from the different winter and summer games. It was interesting to see the different models. I guess I kinda like to see history.

No comments: