Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Productivity

Alright, I was determined, no matter what side of the bed I woke up, to be productive today. For the most part it was... as productive as trimming my fingernails with play-dough scissors... okay, it was more productive than that... I did to talk to some people and gave them some answered they didn't want to hear... but deal with it not everyone can get their way.
I got some terrible news that one of the best people I work with is stepping down from a major program. She has been very responsive and a pleasure to work with... plus she always called me "sweetie" when I talked with her. She was the program's liasion to my office... she has social skills and understands to relate with people, unlike some others. Since the program is one of the major ones, also a program with a history of more turmoil than Baltimore City Police's "Flex Squad", I am worried about having to deal with someone new. The fact that she stepped down because a "mutiny", does little to quell my fear. It is not my choice nor do I have a say in who the replacement will be. The program is filled with overly-passionately people in it who do not look at the whole picture... they tend to focus on the immediate surroundings not the whole picture. Being over-passionate is not always a bad thing, but when it gets out of hand, rules are broken and the point to be a good role model for the kids and people in the community is forgotten, then I have a huge problem with it. Think Mike Tyson determined to have a piece of candy and the only candy around is in a baby's hand. The parent would be more worried about finding a good plastic surgeon to repair the the bite marks on the baby than anything else. Ok, not the best analogy.
The council meeting tonight was long... but productive. Some people would not see it as a good meeting, but I did. I tend to look at the bigger picture, that picture is the issues and the concerns that have been arising lately are forcing the council to rethink their ways... becoming more active and more responsible for what they set out to do. The issues help educate them to become better at what they do. Hopefully, more would see what is happening and get more involved. New fresh blood would be a positive thing in this council. So all in all, it was a productive day.

No comments: